Stramba

Stramba

Thursday, June 3, 2010

last 24 hours in Rome


Funny thing happened this morning...
My sister and mother decided to go on a guided tour of the Vatican and Sistine Chapel. My sister set her alarm for 6 a.m. Her phone rang at 3 a.m. and she woke my mother up claiming it was time to get ready to go on the tour. My mother sleepily sat up, looked at the clock and back at my sister stating- Aliza it's only 3 a.m. I woke up to them laughing. Soon after we fell back asleep.
My father and I were on our own this morning and we took the time- or rather peace and quiet- to walk around. We got breakfast and looked in shops until it was time to go back to our hotel to meet my mother and sister. When they returned from their long half day tour, they complained of hunger. We set out on another adventure, in search for food in the wild- perhaps a chicken, fish or a nice juicy cow. No luck. We walked aimlessly for about a mile and a half, until we decided food was not going to be found in the direction we were headed. So, we turned around and sluggishly walked back settling for yet another italian sandwich. I used to like salame.
Somehow, the bitterness and tension lessened after lunch, perhaps because our tummies were at least full, even if not with what we desired. We got our last gelato and walked out into the RAIN. (What the heck. That wasn't in the forecast.) Without an umbrella, I covered my purse and began walking with a purpose in the direction of our hotel. My father, mother and sister were not far behind- fighting to get under the umbrella. Not caring about my hair or clothes, I wrapped my suede purse with my sweatshirt and prayed it wouldn't get wet. Luckily, it was not too long before we arrived back at our hotel. Drenched.
My sister and I continued to dry off while my mom and dad went off looking for the Harley Davidson store of Rome. My dad's gotta have a Rome Harley shirt....
Meanwhile, it's time to start repacking my bag (hopefully it's under 50lbs) and getting situated for the 5 a.m. (italy time) wake up call in order to make our 9 a.m. flight to Germany, where we'll have a two hour lay over and FINALLY board the plane to head back to the U.S....
Sad to say I am looking forward to home...and air that lacks cigarette smoke.

1 comment: